Friday, January 26, 2018

New Year, New Goals


I thought it might be useful to share with family and interested friends my goals for 2018 in terms of chasing down the family tree and provide an update or two.

Update:

  • To date I have collected birth/family information from all family members but one and will be entering this into the My Heritage family tree. 
  • Seven "Leatherman Tree" newsletters were sent to family updating progress and sharing stories.
  • My book on our family history is well along in its draft stage. So far, I'm at about 30,000 words with plenty of editing required and in terms of stories I have finally come to our parents' generation.
  • Most family photos in my possession are scanned and are now available on a family-only google drive by permission. 
  • I have found the graves of Elizabeth (Bessie) Wood, the two Leatherman babies and Junior Leatherman along with cemetery data for them.
 

  • Numerous documents have been scanned or downloaded including 1800s census data for Henry Leatherman, city directory information that traces the Wood and Leatherman lines, immigration data for Herman Bendler (second great grandfather), death and marriage information, and more.
  • Located and photographed the sites of Henry Leatherman's farm in western Michigan and approximate site of Herman Bendler's nearby farm.

  • Located graves of Angeline Leatherman and Herman Bendler. Henry may be in this cemetery in an unmarked grave.


  • Located and downloaded the commitment papers for Henry Leatherman for the Northern Michigan Asylum. 


  • Located Christening data for Elizabeth Granger (Grainger), Bessie's mother. (London, England)
  • My DNA has been submitted and awaiting results.

Goals for 2018

  • Complete writing on my book and go through editing process, including formatting for publishing, photos, etc. (This will include additional research, both historical and genealogical.)
  • Visit the Mennonite library in Waterloo, Ontario, for more research on Angeline Leatherman's line. 
  • Investigate Canadian cemeteries for additional gravesite information and/or death information on Angeline's line.
  • Visit the museum of the Northern Michigan Asylum in Traverse City, photograph as permitted.
 

  • Convert family tree to GEDCOM for uploading into additional family history sites.
  • Set up meeting with Anne P. to talk about Eleanor and what she can remember.
  • Visit Medina County, Ohio, to see ancestral Leatherman lands, graves and possibly connect with other Leathermans in this area.
  • Continue Leatherman Tree newsletters.
  • Search Lansing history sites for additional information on J.P. and/or his business.
  • Connect with all family members on specific questions related to their families to fill in information for the book. 
  • Publish and distribute book and related digital materials.

Guess I have my work cut out for me!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jeanie,

    Wow! Your New Year's goals are impressive and inspiring. I bet your family will really appreciate all the information you gather together and your book. My grandpa wrote a book about his life and his ancestors, and I loved reading it. I also appreciate that it's now documented and I can pass it on to my children. Good luck with all of your research and writing!

    THANK YOU for digging up the YouTube video on macarons. I will watch it and try her tips!

    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
  2. We used to visit Traverse City a lot when I was a child, but I never knew about this place. It sounds restful and respectful. I read some on Wikipedia about it too. They treated the patients with kindness, probably the best "medicine" there is.

    Am I reading this right, Henry had mania and believed his could see spirits who made him strong? I wonder if this began when he was 64 and was admitted or if this was a lifelong battle. So many questions. I hope you found out more!

    ReplyDelete

Hi Family! Add your comments or questions and thanks for visiting!